Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fitness First, then Food

What's Up Readers?

Before going to PI, I printed a Free 5-Day Trial Pass for Fitness First gym club. Originally, I planned on using this voucher to continue my training for the Run for Pasig River race, but I ran out of time in purchasing a runner's bib ( essential to enter the race :( ... but it's okay; I have to move on and deal with the present situation.

So I got a month's pass to try out Fitness First.  So far, I'm not disappointed.  I'm enjoying all the dance/aerobic classes they offer, such as Retro [jazz choreography], Body Jam [club/techno/ballroom], Hip Hop, and Steps [precursor of Dance, Dance, Revolution].  They also have weights ( free and machines ), which I've yet to try.

I'm just amazed that Filipinos of different ages attend these classes showing how prevalent dancing is in the culture.  I've seen grandmas doing locking and popping moves, and middle-aged dudes swiveling their hips in Latin dances.  Rather than listening to naysayers about the "do's and don'ts" of a certain age, these people listen to what they're feeling ( physically and mentally ), so if they're up for the challenge and their bones say okay, why not?

Since I'm here, why not try Yoga [again]? I attended the "Gentle Flow" class, and let me tell you, the only gentle part was near the end! The yogi teacher told us to focus on the present moment.  It was sort of weird, I noticed sweat trickling at my side ( the oblique section? ), then later, when we had to lay down, she said to count ones breath and feel ones chest rise and fall.  I was so focused on the moment that I fell asleep. I didn't think about the consequence of taking a nap. Luckily I woke up before class ended.

So it's not only what exercise you do to stay healthy, it's also what you eat.  After attending 3 hours of dance classes, I was famished.  I went to Fitness First's snack bar, and ordered the Nutty Oat shake (banana, peanut butter, and oatmeal bits with Whey powder).  Other times, I tried the Merry Melon Soy Drink, the Apple and Cucumber Juice, and the Mango Mania (mango, papaya, and pineapple).

2 comments:

  1. I love that the Filipino people will do what they want/feel, rather than what they think others would want them to do because of ageism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that too... I think, this idea has to do with how age is revered... respecting the elders is a big virtue pass on to the next generation...

    ReplyDelete