Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"Soul" food

Hola Readers,

The family and I gathered around the TV watching the Buzz while having a snack/merienda 1 hour before dinner.

My aunt saw a 1.5 inch cockroach near my sleeping cousin.  Under other circumstances, she'd kill the bug, but instead, she lightly brushed the bug away.  The cockroach can be a manifestation of the sleeper's spirit traveling the unconscious world of dreams.

A story from Ha'waii may help explain this concept.  Basically, it's not good to disturb a sleeping person because when a person sleeps his soul leaves his body.  If the soul doesn't return to his body before waking, then the person will awake without his sense of self and his mental stability ( making him a crazies ).

This is not just a superstition.  It happened to my cousin in high school.  My aunt's eldest son got sick.  In the hospital, he was throwing up and hallucinating.

One day, my aunt's niece came home.  She went upstairs and saw my aunt's eldest son sitting on the bed with his back on the wall and fronting a spaced-out expression.  She told her mother that she saw him.  "That can't be, your cousin and aunt are in the hospital," her mother said.  They searched the house again, but they couldn't find him; the person she saw was just an apparition. 

It was scary for a moment, then we all laughed as we finished off our merienda ( macaroni shell with chicken bits in creamy broth ).  My aunt continued to joke: "I'm visiting a relative so I'll be out; if you see me here tomorrow night, that's just my spirit wandering ;)"

My aunt, part of the 95% Catholics living in PI, believes in guardian angels.  She is a 2nd mother to me; she also helped raised my brother and me while my parents worked abroad.

3 comments:

  1. We have the same story about the soul traveling when you are sleeping too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, now I feel bad for that roach in the Publications Office that we put the cup over and never removed. That soul not only never made it back to its body, but it had to listen to us in its final hours. Brutal.

    It is good your aunt has a positive outlook in spite of how terrifying that situation must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Yo - to help with the comparison, can you share a story about the traveling soul ( Thai version )? thanks!


    Hey Val - maybe that's why some SHU students are walking around like zombies, maybe their soul never returned to their bodies OR maybe because they stayed up the following night writing a research paper ... maybe? ;)

    ReplyDelete