Saturday, November 13, 2010

Indulgence: Junk/Fast Food and Party of Parties

Hey Readers,

With waning funds and one last chance to try something different and difficult to find outside the Philippines, it's no-brainer why I'd splurge in junk and fast food in my last week here in P.I.

Monday: Shopping for pasalubong can be tiring so to recharge, we ate at a Japanese restaurant in the SM Mall of Asia.  We ordered the set for 4, which included appetizers and dessert ( coffee jelly with ice cream ).  One cousin was teaching another cousin how to use chopsticks.  He was too hungry to have the patience ( next time na lang ).  It was funny how we were the last customers in Penshoppe ( clothing store ), and my cousin kept changing her mind.

Tuesday: I didn't finish shopping, so the next day, I recruited another cousin to go with me.  For merienda, we just went to Jollibee.  I liked their slogan: "I am young, I am pinoy, I yum."  I ordered a jolly spaghetti with yum.  My cousins ordered the big burgers.

Wednesday: After helping my cousins with their new home, we had lunch in Chowking.  We ordered a set again, and added sago't gulaman and pork tufo.  At times "Bahala na" could be trying, but I never forgot to "enjoy it".  Instead of waiting in traffic/in the rain, we stopped by SM Mall of Asia.  We ordered the Supreme Overload thin crust pizza with Pineapple juice at Greenwich.

Thursday: I went to the mall again to buy the other things I forgot to buy.  In between shopping sessions I had an energy drink consisting of natural sugar cane juice.  I passed by Red Ribbon and remembered: when my aunt and I had ube mamon and a mocha frap; my cousin and I had lunch of crispy chicken with s'mores cake after hiking; my cousin and I ate macapuno, pastilias de leche, and Braso de Mercedes in the bus.  Thinking about these experiences made me hungry so I ordered fried icecream ( pandan with chocolate and mini-mallows ); the only thing fried about this dessert was the way it was cooked ( look lang ).

Friday: After the gym, I did "Chocomania" then I ate at Inasal.  Before leaving the mall, I bought polvoron from Goldilocks.

Saturday: I was more tired than I thought so I drank a protein shake ( mango yogurt flavor ).  First thing in the morning my aunts are running around buying ingredients for the dishes, which would be eaten for the night's Party of Parties.

Originally I was going to help cook but I became tarantacious ( distracted to the point of confusion because I had to pack my luggage making sure I didn't forget anything / any pasalubong ).

We had spaghetti, rice, Chop suey, shanghai, squid, pork in a broth, and hot dogs on sticks with pineapple bits and flower mallows.  For desserts we had Black Forest cake, Braso de Mercedes, Gelatin, and Leche Flan.

This party celebrated all types of party one can think of ( Bon Voyage, reunion, congratulations, new job, etc. ).  It was one last get together before I return to the States ( my home? ).  We had shots with chasers ( fermented coconut juice ) while we watched a talent show and a scary movie.

Some cousins couldn't make it; nonetheless, I was grateful for those who came.  In the words of Carly Simon ( ? ): "We can never know about the days to come ... [but] I'll tell you how easy it is to be with [them]."

No comments:

Post a Comment