Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Taho and G6PD

Guess What Readers?!

While in Mindanao, Phil., I didn't get a chance to eat my favorite breakfast item, Taho.  Not because, they didn't have it, but because the Taho vendor's route was only limited to the main road ( I'd rather amble through the Port rather than hunt this elusive Taho seller ).

So guess what I did on the morning I heard his call? I sprinted to the window and hollered: "Taho, wait ... how much?" I grabbed 20 pesos ( overpriced according to my aunt ), and ran downstairs.  I watched as he scooped the sweet soy in layers and then added the jelly pearls and syrup ( liquid caramelized sugar ).  I got two cups, one for me, and another for my godchild ( one of the few avid taho aficionados ).

I was about to give my godchild his Taho, when his mother stopped me.  My godchild couldn't have Taho or any soy-based product because, he has G6PD, aka Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase ( a revelation for me ).  According to a web article I read ( not sure whether it's credible or not ) G6PD is a deficiency that is inherited through the X chromosome, and it causes red blood cells not to function normally ( which can cause hemolytic anemia ).

There are certain medicines and foods, such as fava beans , legumes ( beans and blackbeans ), soya/soy ( icecream, burgers, pizzas, chocolate, doughnuts, and more), peanuts ( peanut butter, cereal, sauces, salad dressings, and more ), and menthol flavor ( mouthwash, toothpaste, and more ), which trigger symptoms

Aside from Taho, I'm trying to think of other foods common to the Filipino diet that uses the ingredients above.  The only things I can think of are imported food, and franchise fast food, such as Jollybee, Greenwich, Shakey's, and others.  It's horrible that my godchild wouldn't be able to enjoy Taho fully; he'll learn to adjust.  In the meantime, it looks like I'll have to double my Taho intake and eat on his behalf.

Taho for 3

No comments:

Post a Comment